A GUIDE TO REPORTING FOOTPATH AND PROW PROBLEMS IN ESSEX
All Ramblers and members of the public who go walking are encouraged to report any fault encountered on a Footpath, or Public Right of Way to the Essex County Council Highways Department. The most convenient method is to use the ECC’s Fault Reporting system as detailed below:
2) This brings up a detailed OS map of Essex and by zooming in further you see the 'Definitive Map'. If you know the Post Code, street etc, enter that in the search box to help find the right place.
3) Scroll to the right place and zoom in as far as you can to see enough detail. Then click on the spot where you want to report a problem
4) A box will come up telling you if any issues have already been reported. Click on 'Report an issue here' then click on 'Confirm Location'
5) A box comes up inviting you to include an email address. If you are happy to do so, please complete this as it enables the local Essex Highways PROW Inspector to contact you. You will also receive an email with the fault reference number. The remaining two boxes are for you to fill in the location and the details of the problem. It is useful to include photographs which may help ECC to prioritise problems and rectify them faster.
6) When you are finished click on Submit.
After submission you receive a reference number and summary of your report. Please advise the Essex Area Footpath Officer (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) of your report and reference number. The reference number can be used to track progress on the rectification of the problem.
You may use this interactive map of Essex to investigate further:
Katherine Evans has sent us the following link describing the Basic Rights of Way Law as written by the RA. This is a useful reminder and succinct summary of many of the key questions which may arise whilst out on a Ramblers walk.